Search This Blog

Monday, January 27, 2014

Snow days

....  really?

So I'm headed into work this morning and from about Georgetown on up to Vernon the drive got to be really interesting at times.  ( whiteouts, snow blowing across the road off of open fields, and just the fact that it was snowing like all hell...  )

I'm hearing on the radio that this school district in on a 2 hour delay, some other one is closed, another one on a one hour delay, etc ....   I look at the clock on the dashboard and note the time.  Knowing where I am, and about how long it will likely take me to get to where I would like to be ....  I stop and slap on my little 35mm fixed focal length lens (still waiting on my 24-70 to come back in from repair).  This 35mm will give me an approximate view of roughly 50mm on my old D300 so that should be pretty good for what I have in mind.

I've gotten to "know" these Amish kids that I see nearly every morning when I take this particular route into work.  I wave to them, they always smile and wave back.  I figure they must be headed off to school.  There are usually 3 or 4 of them in the little buggy that they drive and they come through nearly like clockwork at this particular junction of my drive.  I have never taken any photo's of them - the Amish aren't really keen on that - but I had to make an exception for this morning.  Hopefully they won't hold it against me for having done so.


So while all of us "English" are whining about the bad conditions, snowy roads, epic cold and the schools all canceling and or running on delay ...   consider that these kids, in an open buggy no less, head off every morning to where ever it is that I see them going weather be damned.


No comments:

Post a Comment